Panels may often require edge closeouts when used as assembly components or as part of a larger project.
Edge closeouts offer a variety of advantages including:
- Seal panels against water or chemicals vapors
- Provides a connection point for special hardware including hinges or cam locks
- Provides a structural tie to adjoining or supporting structural members
- Allows panels to be joined at angles or flat edgewise
- Clean, aesthetic appearance
There are two basic types of edge closeouts: internal and external. Internal closeouts are incorporated during panel fabrication while external closeouts are added after fabrication.
|Formed edge panel – face sheet only|
|Formed edge panel – face and back sheet|
|“C” channel extrusion bonded into panel as a frame. Channel bonded into panel. Legs out or in.|
|Special extrusions can be made to accommodate top and bottom skins.|
|Metal extrusion bonded into panel as a frame|
|Channel extrusion. Simplest close out. |
Legs of channel can be nipped and
bent or mitered at corners.
|Cut edge panel|